Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Munawar Opel’s autobiography published

By Abdul Qadir Qureshi 
(Pakistan News & Features Services)

Former bureaucrat Munawar Opel’s autobiography, appropriately titled ‘A Silent Tirade of an Unassuming Officer’ has been published and it’s being hailed as a worthy resource material. 

As summarized by the author, the book is a compilation of events based on sound memories during his 40 years of service as a civil servant. The 340-page hardbound book gives an insight into quite a few unreported or lesser known facts. 

“As I always thought of myself as a servant of the state, not the government my career went through several ups and downs, some embarrassing periods as I was not owned by them, neither by some of the colleagues and others. I drifted afloat because I treated my service as a platform to deliver, serve diligently and with humanity. I was proud and sure as Nature was with me,” Munawar Opel reckoned. 

“The events in the book reflected, what really happened so much so, I was shocked myself having a sharp and gifted memory drums. There were no archives of documents, diaries or notes. All events, unbelievably, came to me in waves after waves, when I decided to ink it a couple of years ago,” he added. 

Munawar Opel had graduated from DJ Science College, Karachi, while he did his Masters in International Relations from the University of Karachi. He also did Masters in Development Administration from the Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, in 1985. 

He had started his professional career by joining the Sindh Information Department as an officer in 1974. After a brief stint in the Intelligence Bureau, he passed the CSS exams to become a part of the District Management Group. 

It was the beginning of a long sojourn as he went from strength to strength to be recognized as one of the most efficient civil servants. Serving and spearheading many organizations, he progressed to the ultimate BPS-22 cadre before finally retiring from the government service in April 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment